Saturday, July 17, 2010

On the streets of...

...Philadelphia!!

The Reading Terminal Markets - it's in the centre of town, just around the corner from us. They remind me a lot of the Adelaide Central Markets.
Aaahhhh!!! I found the BEST juice bar. I'm in love.
At first I was excited by the name - it's my old street name.
BUT.. then...I saw these little beauties.



These are a 'specialty' of Philly - From what I understand it's mince or chopped-up steak mixed with herbs, onion and grilled cheese in a hot dog bun. I wish I had someone here who would buy one and I could have a bite - I don't want to buy/eat the whole thing in case it's disgusting particularly as I'm a reformed vego.
South Street - the hippy/grunge street in Philly.
Philly has an amazing Mural Arts Program with over 1000 murals across the city. Apparently it started about 20 years ago to combat the graffiti problems in the city. Rather than punish the graffiti artists they were encouraged to take part in art programs and reform. So far it's proved quite well and the murals haven't been defaced or 'tagged' over.

Gorilla knitting.

First of all we walked past the 'weed quarter', and then the 'sex quarter' on south street. Thought these were funny.
We stumbled across an empty lemonade stand. I wish the kids where there - I so would have bought lemonade from them.
Lunch with the Aussie cyclists.
Old town Philly. Downtown Philly.
The liberty bell.



America's first bank building.

Naw... sisterly love.
More gorilla knitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment