Thursday, June 10, 2010

Daaaavid Letttttermaaan...

At 11:03am on Monday morning I dialed the number. Busy signal. I tried again at 11:04am. Busy signal. I followed this pattern until 11:23am.

'Hello you've called the standby ticket line for the Late Show with David Lettterman, what is your name please?'

That I could answer. I told her my name.

'okay, we have a trivia question for you to answer to get standby tickets. What instrument does Paul Shaffer play in the CBS orchestra?'

Eek. Mind blank. I was put on the spot. *shit*. He doesn't seem to play much - he just talks lots. Mind blank.

'trumpet?'

'oh no I'm sorry. You didn't get that right'

*shit shit shit! It's keyboard - I knew that*

'but you still get in the line for standby tickets. Seats are not guaranteed. Turn up at 5pm on the dot...' blah blah blah.

Phew. And. We got in. In fact we got kick arse seats to a kick arse show. Prior to entering we were given the run down about 'no wolf whistles, no whooping, no food or drinks, no...' and also about the appropriate times to laugh. We had cheerleader-type attendants show us to our seat and then 'warm us up' to get a good energy going in the audience. It was absolutely freezing in the theatre. But I'd heard that Letterman requests it be that temperature so we were prepared.

The guests were Sean Hayes (plays Jack in Will and Grace) who was hilarious, Robert Klein (old skool comedian) and Allison Moorer (a grammy award winning singer).
Dave himself was even pretty funny. Not Baaaad.

You might even be able to catch us on TV. Sean Hayes did a stunt where he ran right by us in the audience. As you face the audience, we are in the section on the right hand side, seated in the aisle about 5 people from the front. Get those tv remotes ready to pause on my minuscule head as it makes its screen debut for a nano second.


Illegal shot of the stage inside. Strictly no photography. It was actually the
coolest little theatre with an amazing stage. This picture does not do it justice.

1 comment:

  1. That is too cool! I'm always in NYC when everything is finished filming for the season.

    You look radiant, I think the Big Apple definitely agrees with you!

    ReplyDelete