Friday, June 25, 2010

Coup du monde

New York has embraced the World Cup. Almost every bar/restaurant/cafe has a big screen showing the games.

Um, not sure if someone told the advertisers that Japan was not in Group D before they printed thousands of posters?

Havaianas were giving out free thongs for the countries playing each fixture. Sadly I didn't go to any of the venues where they were giving them out and therefore do not possess a lovely pair of yellow and green thongs.

Instead I caught most of the games at a huge South African cafe on my street. The atmosphere was electric during the games. Sadly, during the Australia/Germany game there were no other Aussie supporters (nor many German supporters) but even so, the non-German supporters were cheering for Germany. It really was a miserable game to be the sole supporter of the Socceroos.

Brunch before the game. Calm before the storm.


We ventured down to Puma (Poooma) land to check out the World Cup festivities. Pretty much everything was free: screen printing t-shirts, Shoelace art, black and white photo booth strips...
So the Big Sissa and I made some t-shirts. I wanted to get 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie' on the front of my tshirt and 'oi,oi,oi' on the back. But the limit on the lettering was 14 letters - so the guy doing the screen printing made an executive decision to just put 'oi,oi,oi' - thanks buddy! By then the t-shirt was already ugly so I added some extra yellow and green motives for good measure.

Alternatively I wanted to get 'Neill' and his number, but I couldn't for the life of me remember his number. So I asked a girl next to me if she could google it on her iphone. She said it was 12. By that stage I already had my ugly 'oi,oi,oi' t-shirt underway so I didn't go ahead with 'Neill 12'. LUCKY 'cos his number is actually 2!!

The Big Sissa's t-shirt was much cooler and more wearable than mine!
On the way to the Australia v Ghana.
Watched the winning Australia v Serbia game from my couch as I was a supremely hung over being. I was sad that the boys missed out on moving to the next round despite winning the game and playing so well.

Overall - I enjoyed watching Lucas Neill in all his glory. Such a hottie! Now for the remaining games.

No comments:

Post a Comment